Protection Against Viruses from USB in 3 steps
Friday, May 7, 2010| Surbhi Verma
In Reply to Jitender's Query....
Viruses attack through USB is a very common problem....
Today i m gonna tell you 3steps to protect your PC from Viruses incoming from Your USB drive also how you can del those viruses from USB....
here i will cover these 3 steps>
1. Disable AutoRun Functionality
2. Manually deletion of viruses through USB drive
3. Scan USB using Antivirus
**Never Open any USB without checking for Viruses using the step 2 and 3.
Detailed description of these steps>>>>
1. How to Disable Autorun Factionality:
well, i guess all of you know, what is autorun.... so i just step forward to tell you how to disable it.
Group Policy settings to disable all Autorun features in Windows
- Click Start, click Run, type Gpedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then click on System.
- In the right side you will see Turn off Autoplay,right click on it and then go to Properties.
- Click Enabled, and then select All drives in the Turn off Autoplay box to disable Autorun on all drives.
- Click OK to close the Turn off Autoplay Properties dialog box.
- Restart the computer.
Edit Registry to disable all Autorun features in Windows
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following entry in the registry:
- Right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 0xFF to disable all types of drives. Or, to selectively disable specific drives, use a different value as described in the "How to selectively disable specific Autorun features" section.
- Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
2. Manually deletion of viruses through USB drive:
In this step you will learn, how to manually check USB for viruses using Command prompt and how to delete them......
First, i m gonna tell you how to check USB for viruses>
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd , and then click OK.
- Now go to my comuter to check, what drive location is assigned to USB from A: ,B: ,C: ,D: ,...etc....
- Type that location in Command prompt and press enter.
For Example..... if USB drive location is F:
then type F:
as result you will got something like this F:/>
4. Now check all the files and directries in USB. for this:
- Type Attrib and press enter..... By this you will get list of all the files
- and to see directries type dir and press enter..............
Check the list throughly for any virus....
Now the question arrises which file could be a virus. how you can know about that?????
- Well, for this you should know names of files and directories that you have copied in USB.
- Any suspecious file that you did't copy, can be a virus as viruses copy automatically with other filles.
- Mainly Suspeuscious files having extension .exe or .inf and suspeciouse Directories with some Bad names or a very Attractive name..... can be virus .
- Suspecious file with extension .exe and attributes SHR, could be definitely a Virus.
Secondly, I will tell you how to delete these Suspecious Files from USB>5. Continuing after step 4, Type suspecious file name followed by del and Press enter.
For Example> if i want to del autorun.inf, then i will write like this
6. If any suspecious file have attrib SHR or SH...... then it will not delete directly. For deleting these files first you have to remove their attrib...
To remove SHR attrib type> attrib -r -h -s filename
To remove SH attrib type> attrib -h -s filename
after removing their attributes, delete these files also.
3. Scan USB using Antivirus
At last Don't Forget to scan your USB drive using a good and Updated Antivirus.
4. Step Four............ Nooo no, No more steps, You can open your USB drive......your PC is safe now.
Tested on: Windows XP
If you want more information and tutorials about Antivirus and Security, check out other posts under category Antivirus and Security Tips.
1 comments for this post
Leave a reply
TechByte4U on Facebook
free idm, serial key Internet Download Manager(also known as Idman) is an excellent internet download accelerator that will care of...
Hey Friends, In my last post i have told you about the browser's fact of storing passwords after prompting 'Do you want t...
Free winrar, Full version Winrar, Winrar Serial key I guess everyone know what is Winrar, and what it works. So without going into t...
Many people ask me daily "please tell me how to hack any email id". After reading this tutorial all of you will know how to...
Previously i have posted about how to hack any account using phishing pages.... Now in this post i m gonna explain how you can make phi...
In today's time, not even every home has a laptop or computer, but every member of family also own separate laptops or any other de...
A mazing Photo Effects An online Photo Editor with more than hundred photo effects where you can upload your pics and get an amazing p...
In response to query asked by Ameer Hasan Malik Did you forget your windows login password? or want to access Admin account in schoo...
last week a person requested here to explain how to make a fake login page of Facebook.. So i am giving a lesson here about making fake ...
In response to query asked by SUNNI BALA SANKAM Windows 7 has implemented addition secur i ty mechanism to prevent accidental or...