How cookie Stealing Hack Works : Basic about Session Hijacking
Sunday, July 10, 2011| Surbhi Verma
Well I have posted lots of articles on Phishing and keylogging, but today I would like to throw some light on a very useful method which hackers use to hack gmail, facebook and other email accounts i.e. cookie stealing and session hijacking.
Whenever we sign into an account it generates a unique piece of string. One copy is saved on server and other in our browser as cookie. Both are matched every time we do anything in our account.
Cookies allow you to proceed through many pages of a site quickly and easily without having to authenticate or reprocess each new area you visit.
Example of cookie:
- Have you ever put something in a virtual shopping cart in an online store and then returned a few days later to find that the item is still there? That's an example of cookies at work.
- When you login on gmail or facebook, you need to give ur username and password only once, but after that each time when u navigate from one page to another, it redirect you without asking for those information(username and password) asked before.
Types of cookies:
- session cookies: Session cookies are created temporarily in your browser's subfolder while you are visiting a website. Once you leave/sign out from the site, the session cookie gets deleted.
- Persistent Cookies: Persistent cookie files remain in your browser's subfolder and are activated again once you visit the website that created that particular cookie. A persistent cookie remains in the browser's subfolder for the duration period set within the cookie's file.
What is a cookie stealing and Session Hijacking ?"A session hijacking attack is basically an act of stealing stored session cookies and injecting it into your own browser to gain access to victims account."
In this procedure, an attacker can steal session cookies by convincing slave to run a piece of code in browser (normally any java script ) or by any how ask slave to visit to any link that have session stealing php script . As soon as Victim do that, attacker gets his session cookies. Now Attacker can use this stolen session to login into slave's account without providing any username/password. This attack is very uncommon because when the slave clicks 'Sign out', session gets destroyed and attacker too also gets signed out.
But in case of some sites that use persistent cookies attacker doesn’t get signed out when slave clicks 'Sign out'. In destroy session automatically after any particular time. for Ex. Yahoo, it destroy cookies after 24hrs But if user simply refreshes the windows in yahoo account with in 24 hrs, then he gets sessions again for next 24 hrs. This means, once the yahoo account session is stolen, attacker can access the account for life time by refreshing window in every 24hrs.
How the stealing process work?
1. The attacker creates a PHP script and uploades it to any webhosting site.
2. The attacker then asks the slave to visit that particular link containing the PHP code.
3. Once the slave visits it his/her authentication cookie is saved in a .txt file.
4. Next the attacker uses a cookieinjector or a cookie editor, and replaces his own cookies with the victims cookies as a result of which the victims session is hijacking, and he got access to victim's account.
Well, this all was the theory About Cookie Stealing and how it works, in my next post i will explain how you can done all this practically....
Keep on Visiting or You can subscribe below to get updates in your inbox... ;)
If you want more hacking tutorials, check out other posts under category Hacking.
Written by:SurbhiSurbhi is Founder of Techbyte4u.com. Follow her on Twitter or email her
Posted in Hacking Stuff
8 comments for this post
Leave a reply
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
TechByte4U on Facebook
free idm, serial key Internet Download Manager(also known as Idman) is an excellent internet download accelerator that will care of...
Before writing more about hacking, i was thinking to let the innocent people know about hacking and how hackers perform their hacking o...
A mazing Photo Effects An online Photo Editor with more than hundred photo effects where you can upload your pics and get an amazing p...
How to send messages to all guests in Facebook events... Facebook Trick On Facebook sometimes people need to send any information or m...
Hey Friends, In my last post i have told you about the browser's fact of storing passwords after prompting 'Do you want t...
For times when you want to browse something Private, you must browse in ' incognito mode' of your chrome or Firefox Browser ...
How to inverse colors on a Picture. " Stare at the image then close your eyes, you will see Jesus." When first time I sa...
Free SpeedConnect Internet Accelerator Registration Serial Number SpeedConnect Internet Accelerator is designed to optimize the netwo...
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is a bootable antivirus CD that scans and clean your system from viruses and malwares. The application should...
By using Orkut on Google Chrome... when we see any other person's album, on the pics the right click property is Disabled So that we can...
July 11, 2011 at 5:52 AM
Thnx for sharing .. such a wonderful information :)
July 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Can u give me the php script for stealing cookies
July 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM
hi Mak... i will write about it in other post soon, please have some patience and keep reading articles here...
@Ashish... thx dear :)
July 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Curiously waiting for the next post!!!
July 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Curiously waiting for the next post! :)
July 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Thx for showing ur interest, will try to write next post today :)
July 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Well...Thanx in advance for that :)
Bhagat Singh Bisht
April 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
All your posting are really nice one keep such posting. I really liked
Bhagat Singh Bisht