Saturday, December 24, 2011| Surbhi Verma
Welcome to the era of trickery, where you may be able to trust your some friends, but can no longer trust their e-mails. Identity theft is quickly becoming the biggest issue when it comes to e-mail, and it has a name: e-mail spoofing.
Email spoofing is an act by which you can send mail pretending to come from any fake address( For example 'firstname.lastname@example.org', 'email@example.com' etc.). No matter if you have access to the sender address or not, even no matter if the sender address exists or not. It is a very common strategy used among hackers and spammers. It is becoming so common that you can no longer take for granted that the e-mail you are receiving is truly from the person identified as the sender.
Why Email Spoofing?
Senders do this for various reasons, including:
- The e-mail is spam and the sender doesn’t want to be subjected to anti-spam laws
- The e-mail contains a virus or Trojan and the sender believes you are more likely to open it if it appears to be from someone you know.
- Email contains a phishing page to hack your account.
- The e-mail requests information that you might be willing to give to the person the sender is pretending to be (for example, a sender might pose as your company’s system administrator and ask for your network password), as part of a “social engineering” attack.
- The sender is attempting to cause trouble for someone by pretending to be that person (for example, to make it look as though a political rival or personal enemy said something he/she didn’t in an e-mail message).
How does it work?
Email spoofing is done by altering the original 'sender email id', 'sender name' and other parts of the mail. This is possible because the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) does not support any type of sending authentication.
There are many ways to do so, some are as following:
1. Using Command prompt
2. Using email desktop services like Outlook
3. Using Websites offering mail spoofing
4. Using php scripts, to built own mail spoofing website.
I will write about all procedures in detail in coming posts, but here just providing names of some sites that offer mail spoofing, so that you can do some experiments and can understand about it. Some sites are:
1. http://emkei.cz/ (with advanced options)
Note: These sites are tested and working fine for gmail.
Examples of E-Mail Spoofing
Recently i have written about Adobe software update Fake mail, which is also an example of email spoofing.
Identifying Spoofed email:
One can do it by checking original header of email. Usually the spoofed email's header have an email address or SMTP address in sender email which is different than the email showing on the received mail. or it can have other website which has nothing to do with the sender id, or sometimes you can see the original email id of sender in 'reply to', if he/she is willing a reply from you .
Posted in Hacking Stuff
4 comments for this post
Leave a reply
TechByte4U on Facebook
free idm, serial key Internet Download Manager(also known as Idman) is an excellent internet download accelerator that will care of...
last week a person requested here to explain how to make a fake login page of Facebook.. So i am giving a lesson here about making fake ...
How to get Account on Google+ ? get google plus invitation Hello All, Google+ is still available using the invitation process, It wi...
Many people ask me daily "please tell me how to hack any email id". After reading this tutorial all of you will know how to...
Internet Download Manager 6.07 Registration Serial Number free idm, serial key Hi Friends, In this tutorial i am gonna explain a way...
Hi all, In my last post you can see the amazing art on notepad . You can also create these types of portra i ts in just seconds :) ...
In response to query asked by Ameer Hasan Malik Did you forget your windows login password? or want to access Admin account in schoo...
Hey Friends, In my last post i have told you about the browser's fact of storing passwords after prompting 'Do you want t...
How to inverse colors on a Picture. " Stare at the image then close your eyes, you will see Jesus." When first time I sa...
Previously i have posted about how to hack any account using phishing pages.... Now in this post i m gonna explain how you can make phi...